C h i n K o
OBJECTIVE: Production Designer / Art Director
A highly skilled, results oriented, Production Designer/ Art Director with a well earned reputation as a creative mind and technically skilled storyteller possessing a craftsman’s ability to merge animation, cinematography and design. With a background that includes a significant body of work and creative contributions to a wide range of animation projects from major motion pictures to print.
- Over 12 years’ comprehensive experience as a results oriented Production Designer, Art Director, and Visual Development Artist in a variety of creative environments.
- Knowledgeable in:
- Conceptualizing, developing, and designing high-profile projects from inception to completion; integral part of the design and creation process.
- Strong background in creative development, understanding the technical and artistic requirements of an efficient pipeline for animation production, and Finishing.
- Generate inspirational, innovative concepts, designs, renderings and creative ideas and maintaining the art style and visual bar within timescales and budget.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills; relate well with demanding clients, agency executives and decision makers, production and creative personnel from diverse backgrounds. Fluent in Mandarin.
- Support the work of Directors and Producers, CG Supervisor and other Creative leads in the pitch and pre-production, and production stages of projects.
- Provide feedback, direction and supervision to other artists and help to motivate, manage and produce effective results.
- Possess a keen and critical eye for color, lighting, design, style, composition, and attention to detail.
- Experienced in hiring and building art team, developing, motivating, supporting teams of up to 80 employees and contractors with 8 direct reports.
- Creative strategist; coordinate with marketing to improve brand building and enhance effectiveness of mass media projects.
- Literate on Adobe Photoshop, After Effects and Maya.
2015 to Present SONY PICTURES ANIMATION Culver City, CA
Production Designer– Surf’s Up 2: Responsible for creating the style guides and color scripts. Collaborate with the Director, Producer and/or client. Establish the environments, characters, props, story beats and any other design elements required for the production. Coordinate technical resources, budgetary and scheduling concerns. Work with all disciplines to execute the studio’s vision, perform as Art Director, Character Designer and/or Visual Development Artist when necessary. Supervise and mentor a team of Art Director, Character Designers, Visual Development Artists, Set Designers, Layout/ Pre-vis Artists, Modelers, Texture Artists, Lighting Artists, Effects Artists, Motion Graphic Artists and Matte Painters. Attend and actively participate in dailies and validations with the CG Supervisor and Creative Leads to ensure that the film’s artistic direction is followed throughout production.
2014 to 2015 SONY PICTURES ANIMATION Culver City, CA
Senior Visual Development Artist– Hotel Transylvania 2: Painted characters, designed costumes, environments and contributed color script for the film.
2012 to Present SECONDBRUSH, INC. San Francisco, CA
Owner/Creative Director: Develop advertising, editorial illustrations, and mobile games for various clients as well as illustrate children’s books such as:
- HarperCollins Publishers – Series: I Can Read Level 2
- Penguin Random House – Potato King
- Cricket Media – Are We There Yet?
2010 to 2014 DREAMWORKS ANIMATION Redwood City, CA
Senior Visual Development Artist: Involved as a team member in developing pitches for projects. Designed the style, look, costumes and sets for various projects:
- Penguins of Madagascar
- Trolls and Captain Underpants – Early development and part of a presentation team
- Rocky and Bullwinkle – Lead Visual Development Artist
- Madagascar 3
- Puss in Boots: The Three Diablos
- How to Train Your Dragon: Gift of the Night Fury
- Megamind – Created the majority of main characters’ costume and look of the world environment. Remained with the project from concept through completion.
2011 to 2012 LAIKA San Francisco, CA
Visual Development Artist: Created illustrations, story beats and key art for commercials to pitch ideas to Kraft.
2010 MUNKYFUN San Francisco, CA
Concept Artist: Conceptualized character/robot designs.
2006 to 2008 LUCASARTS San Francisco, CA
Concept Artist: Designed concept art for environments, weapons, props, characters, costumes. Also helped with compositing and matte painting in cinematic trailers and motion graphics. Projects included:
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed/Ultimate Sith Edition
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars
2006 BLIND STUDIO Los Angeles, CA
2005 NAKED SKY ENTERTAINMENT Los Angeles, CA
Concept Artist for RoboBlitz:
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS:
Judge on the Selection Committee – Annie Awards
EDUCATION: OTIS COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN Los Angeles, CA
Bachelor of Arts in Digital Media